Friday, February 23, 2007

"Don't Be That Guy..."

Made popular by the 90s cult hit PCU, I'll flip the object of ridicule in the header from music (that guy wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see) to college basketball.

Don't be that guy who fills out multiple NCAA Tournament brackets.

Why? You look like a douche, plain and simple. I can't tell you how many times I've chuckled over the jackass at the bar during the tournament, filing through his 3 or 4 brackets to check which outcome of the indecisive 8/9 matchup between two State College U.'s helps out more of his brackets. To me, this strategy is indefensible.

In my opinion, either way you spin it off, you're an idiot. Either you don't know your shit and you are essentially handing over more money in the slim chance one of your brackets somehow goes through or you're just too damn indecisive. You can tell me it's like playing the stock market - you are diversifying your risk and have your possible sleepers spread between multiple brackets. True. With diversification comes less risk, but also less chance of a top return. I figure -- what -- the top five percent of pools return money? You might as well take your chances with your picks. If you're wrong, you're wrong. But it always draws a laugh from me when Three Bracket Timmy hits his championship game prediction, only to fall short because he didn't do it in the same bracket as the one he had with the good first weekend projection.

Most importantly, however, you're compromising your integrity as a sports fan. In the sports world, you are taught to have an argument and not back down from it, no matter how wrong or stupid (hell, take a look at Skip Bayless). Are you going to be wrong a good chunk of time? Sure, you are. I've had some horrendous brackets to go along with some of my bests and I'd be the first to tell you tales of my downfalls (In eighth grade I took South Carolina to win it all and they, of course, got bounced by Coppin State in round one... ouch!). Such is life. But there's a pride issue in correctly placed that mid-major sleeper into the Sweet-16 or predicting the high-seeded powerhouse to bow out in the first weekend on all one of your brackets.

So when Bob from accounting takes home your office pool with bracket number four of five and constantly reminds you by the water cooler every morning of his victory, remember to ask him how many loser brackets he placed in the pool alongside it.

Actually, scratch all this. Turn in however many brackets you want, jackass. You're just fluffing up my winnings.


-- RK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, is it ok to fill out multiple brackets for different groups (i.e. one for SotSG, one for FTT, one for a group pool among friends) as long as you make the brackets the same?

Anonymous said...

Wow, couldn't agree more. One of my buddies always used to fill out 5 for his dad's office pool. I couldn't believe it - how could you have any sense of accomplishment if you were to win? Most of the fun of filling out a bracket is becoming one with it, and validating your "expertise" on the subject. I look forward to pwning the rest of SotSG with my one bracket.

Kasko said...

Yes, JD. Totally legit. I usually turn in 10-20 brackets, all the same, across the interwebs.

-- Kasko

Fletch said...

Way to go tying PCU into the post. Great, underrated movie there. (Would have been 3x better if the girl that the frosh was going after was hotter, but you can't get everything you want, I suppose.)

THN said...

PCU was an underrated movie, my favorite moment being when Gutter was part of the senate investigation.